John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Saturday, June 12, 2010

6-11-10

M here.

Yesterday, as I was just waking up out of a groggy stupor, after working overtime the night before, I heard my phone ringing. I got out of bed and realized I had just missed a call from my partner. I checked my messages and found that I had missed three calls, all from colleagues. Whenever I get calls like this, I know to expect the worse. I try to steel myself to hearing the worse kind of news. I start wondering which one of my colleagues was just killed, or worse yet, someone in my family.

With trepidation I first called my partner back. He informed me that one of my colleagues had been in a high speed pursuit, while riding his department motorcycle. My colleague was unable to swerve in time and avoid broad siding a big rig, at a high rate of speed. Tom Coleman, #17338 was a seven year veteran of our department. He epitomized class and integrity. He was a great officer, father, husband, and friend. He cared for those around him and did the right thing, even to the point that he gave his life doing his sworn duty.

Losing someone like Tom hit me real hard. We have had two deaths in our office in the last year and this was the third. Tom had a daughter that was born a little before Emily. He would often come up to me asking me how Emily was doing and then we would trade war stories of the challenges of fatherhood. As I sat in on the debrief with my friends and colleagues, I kept thinking over and over about what it would be like to be so cruelly and quickly removed from this world, leaving behind my wife and two young girls to cope on their own. I am reassured to know that we have a great, caring and loving family and network of friends that would step up to help them out, but I still can't get over the hole that would be left behind.

It is times like this that make me appreciate the family that God has given me. I have learned to appreciate each day that he gives me. I try not to ever miss an opportunity to hug and kiss my 3 girls. To those who are reading this, I admonish you to never take any day for granted. Always remember to tell your wife and kids that you love them and hug and kiss them often.

1 comment:

doug&margarethe said...

Praying for you and your colleagues, M. What a tragedy. Glad your girls made it home safely to you so you could hug them. You have gone through alot in the past year! Have sure seen a lot of maturity develop in what you have endured..may God be glorified as your dependence has had to be upon Him. And see how far you have come...many times I'm reminded to pray for your safety in your job. Hugs to you and your dear family.