John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Feeling Left Out

So apparently, in my sub-conscience, I must have been feeling left out of the allergy issues in our family. For the past two days, I have been itching from head to toe. Nothing was helping but I was going to tough it out until Monday and then last night I broke out in a rash and hives. The weird thing is that the rash moves around to different body parts. Crazy.

Anyway, today, once M got up, I went in to urgent care and was told I was having an allergic reaction...most likely to something I ingested...no kidding huh?

So they gave me a steroid shot...which I had an 'adverse reaction to'. I almost passed out and threw up and...it was stupid and made me a little angry. No one's fault, just another thing that can't be just a simple fix in my life. An hour and a half later, I started to break out again...yep.

I took some antihistamine, which I found out I was not supposed to. But the itching has stopped for now. I have to get some oral steroids tomorrow for when the shot wears off and my hip feels like I lifted way too hard on it and it is two days later...for the weight lifters, they get it. So I still have no idea what I ate or drank and if it is going to go away, but I just can't believe the irony of this. I catch myself flipping between laughing in disbelief and wanting to rip my skin off. Well, a couple of shots for the road. Ha! Get it? Shots...I hope these are the only ones I am taking soon.



Look who made it into the stroller...she did this, not me, look how perfect those little toys are!

Okay, one K story: we were outside and K picks up a toy with a spider on it and we both see it at the same time. I calmly tell her to bring it to me and as soon as she is in reach, I grab it and throw it away from us. Then I go kill the spider (all with Em in my arms). When I turn around and K is crying. I tell her it's okay, mommy just had to kill the spider. This helped immensely as she continued to cry and point at the toy. I gave her back the toy and she hugged it and didn't put it down for the rest of the evening.

Get this, she was sad about the poor toy getting 'hurt'. For real? She is ALL girl. I have no idea what God was thinking giving me girls. I am sure He was sitting up there thinking of the funniest thing he could come up with and turned to Gabriel and said, "Watch this! I am going to give B not one, but TWO little girls. They will cry about everything and not only will she not get it, it's going to drive her crazy! Ha!". :) Don't worry, the sweetness of the situation was not lost on me. It broke my heart when I realized what I had done and I apologized and hugged and kissed the toy for her. It is the tenderness of a little girl's heart I am learning to get used to. I find that side of it incredibly refreshing!


I have resisted pulling these toys out because Em is not supposed to play in them (they delay walking) - don't panic mom's of normal babies, normal babies aren't impacted...it is only in preemies cause they are slow to overcome bad habits. Anyway, they aren't the ones trying to keep a fussy baby entertained. So I set it up high enough so Em can't touch the ground and then only put her in it for a few minutes twice a day. BUT K has decided it is a great climbing toy, so twice the entertainment, worth it all. :)

2 comments:

doug&margarethe said...

Allergies can develop at any time in ones life I was told by my allergy Dr. After harvesting and eating peanuts (raw, boiled, roasted, etc.) all my life I had an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts at 45 years of age!! Weird. Now I also have more allergies. Not fun. I say get tested so you have an idea what you're allergic to.
Gad knew you would be the best Mom for K & Em!! Love your stories..

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog. It's so "you" and makes me laugh out loud. =)