John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Great News!

We are full of good news tonight! Let's start with the fact that Emily Grace is 6 months old (adjusted)! She is a whopping 12 pounds 9 ounces and is finally gaining weight at an acceptable rate for us - her parents, forget the drs, I have decided they will never be happy. We will have pics shortly but the first round didn't go so well so we will try again tomorrow.

Second, today is what I have decided to call "Equality Day" - that means 146 successful days at home so far! Recall that Emily was in the NICU for 146 days and starting tomorrow, we have officially been her parents (and by that, I mean caretakers) for the longest of anyone! I know it's hard to get that, but try for a moment to imagine what it is like to have someone else care for your baby for five months and you take a back seat to her care...watching from the sidelines. You are NEVER the expert on your own child and a million different drs tell you how to raise her best. This day makes me feel like we are finally OFFICIALLY her parents...tomorrow is the first day of the rest of our lives. Our lives, as a family. Ah, I am going to let that sink in. Oh, and by the way, that makes US the experts, so back off GI, I will decide what is best for my daughter! (Okay, not really, I got a little carried away, but it just feels great).

Lastly, we were at the BPD clinic today and they have decided to take her apnea monitor away and that means ONE LESS DR!! The clinic has decided that Emily is doing well enough that her care can be followed by the GI specialist, her pediatrician and the various therapists she goes to. The clinic appt is a three hour appt every month and now I don't have to go! Yipee!!

2 comments:

Jim and Marilyn said...

Great news indeed! Congrats to everyone for the survival and the HUGE progress; we know that God has been so good and such a present help at all times. One step at a time, keep up the good work, M&B, you are a great team.

doug&margarethe said...

You are doing a great job as parents!..even to monitor Em's care. Congratulations!! I was wondering if she was more than 12 lbs so am glad she is. She really is sweet and so is her sister!! hugs to you.