John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Monday, April 26, 2010

Emily's Status

So four major dr visits in the last week have given us a clearer view of Emily now. There is good news and bad news on all fronts. She is eight pounds five ounces and 20.75 inches long.

The opthomologist looked at her eyes and since she is too young to be able to tell us if she is actually seeing anything, they give her glasses based on the health of the eye only. Her eyes have the capability of seeing at -10.5 and -9.5. For those who don't know what that means, it's pretty bad. I tried on her glasses and couldn't even make out objects in the room, I just saw some light and dark spots. I thought M's eyesight was bad and his are -2.5 and -3.0. Anyway, we need to get glasses for her NOW so that her brain doesn't start ignoring the messages sent to it from the eyes. If she doesn't start tracking in another month or so, then we will get worried and take more action. Otherwise, we wait two more months. Soooo...bug eyes will become goggle eyes! :) Man I love that little girl!

The GI specialist says her weight gain is good but not as high as we want it. She is supposed to gain between 20-30 grams a day and she is gaining 18 grams. So we are doubling her safflower oil and letting her sleep as long as she wants at night. The second part shocked me a little but he thinks she will eat more if she is rested and hungry than in the lazy state we wake her up in. Yipee! More sleep for me...it has been six months since I slept more than 3 hours at a time (minus a couple spells here and there from a willing husband or mother).


The rest is pretty boring so if you want more details, give us a call or email. Thank you for your continued prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for her vision. A brilliant scientist recently announced a bank of 32 sensors which allowed previously blind people to see objects, curbs, buildings and other people. He is currently creating a 256 chip sensor array which is expected to give almost normal vision. This science is so amazing that even I am in awe of what they are doing. If man can do this, cannot God do more!

John

Kari said...

My eyes are -6.0 and -7.5. :) I did have fairly thick, giant 80's glasses for awhile, but with contacts, you'd never know! Emily is beautiful. No giant glasses can hide that.