I wrote this in my journal a couple of days ago and was sharing it with my sister-in-law and she encouraged me to share it with you all. It is kind of long…
We have been learning in Bible Study that to live the great life, we must leave the ordinary/normal behind. Today I just want my life to be normal. You know, a baby that just eats and sleeps and gains weight effortlessly. A baby you take to the dr once a month…and the dr is not half an hour away, those kind of things. Don't get me wrong. Not for one second do I miss driving into the hospital every day and using four hours of my life just to be with my baby for a couple, always wondering about her health. Nor do I miss spending almost $500/month on gas. BUT in all reality, having her here is a lot harder in every aspect except the part that she is mine and she is here for me to hold whenever I want. Do you ever say, "I wish someone had told me..."? I know people DO tell us, we just don't listen, but I wish someone had told me to buy stock in Walgreens...I think we are single-handedly keeping them in business.
But you know what? Even as I write this all, I know it is not true. I can barely write it out, but I think I need to get it out of my system. If I had a normal baby, I would not have Emily. Sitting in my house every moment of every day is a testimony of God’s miraculous healing power, his grace, his mercy and his faithfulness. I can take one look at her and depending on what I see, I can instantaneously recall some part of God’s character that was revealed to me in these times…or just a gush of gratitude that she is here and God gave her to me to care for. I am so glad she is here and how I live my life, whether in self-pity or energetic enthusiasm, is all a matter of perspective.
26 times a day, we give her something…meds or additives, whatever it is. I can choose to see that as an inconvenience (and incredibly hard to keep up with) or I can remember that she does NOT have a feeding tube of any sort – she is eating all on her own…something they said she would most likely not do. And I can be proud. Proud of all my little girl has accomplished. She has to work so much harder than all of us to do the things we take for granted and yet she trudges on.
I can look at her oddly shaped head and see how funny she looks, or I can look at her head and remember the first time I saw them flip her head over. It looked like a cracked egg inside a baggie. Just remembering it brings tears to my eyes. Why? There was so much fear accompanied with that image. She was so frail, so unformed. I was so scared because I thought there was no way she could make it. Six months later, here she is, funny shaped head and all lying in my crib instead of on a hospital bed. I love her head. I kiss it a thousand times a day, tell her I love her and tell her I can’t believe she made it and is here to live with us.
I can see her bug eyes and I can be intimidated by how awkward they are, or I can look at her eyes and remember the weeks of intubation. Remember that my little girl had to learn to breathe…at the cost of her eyes. I can remember that they told me that the only way she was going home was with an oxygen tank…and she started breathing room air over a month before that. I can look at her eyes and see that they don’t track and I can remember that she should be blind, but God has given her sight. I can’t wait for the day (hopefully next week) when my daughter looks up and sees me for the first time. She is going to look SO silly in those goggles! Do I really care? Not one bit. My daughter was going blind and now she will see. Praise God!
I can look at her arm and back and see the scars and I can feel sad for her that she has been through so much, or I can remember that my daughter has fought tooth and nail for every breath. She has endured countless pokes and prods and surgeries…I can’t name them all, it would take too long. Surely I can continue to pump. Surely I can be patient while she learns to eat. Surely I can keep track of all the information given to me from all the drs and I can manage to fit in everything they recommend into every day. Surely I can manage for a few more months to live with very little sleep. She has fought so hard for so long, surely I can fight for her.
I don’t want a normal baby. I want Emily. I don’t want a normal life. I want whatever Emily has to offer. She is mine and I wouldn’t trade her or any of her issues for anything. She is beautiful! She and everything we have been through because of her is a miraculous reminder of all things God and therefore all things good. If I need a reminder of God’s faithfulness, love, grace, mercy, compassion, strength…anything…I just look at my little girl.
8 comments:
Wow! Thank you for sharing all of those thoughts, Becky. What a wonderful reminder of the importance of keeping things in perspective and having a grateful heart. As you're watching Emily grow and change and are rejoicing for her sake, God's watching your faith grow and change and He's rejoicing for you!!! ~ Charlie and I continue to pray daily for your family and we hope one day we'll get to meet your two sweet girls! ~Karen~
thanks for posting this; we love our precious little Emily and all that she has taught us (and will continue to teach us) about faith and hope. Isaiah 64:4 "No one has ever seen or heard of a God like you, who does such deeds for those who put their hope in Him."
BEAUTIFUL... a testimony to love. Love for a wonderful, amazing, God and your relationship with Him. Love of a mother for her baby girl. Glad you shared.
Hi M & B,
We continue to pray for her, glad to hear she is off of her "food tube". We have had the privilege of waiting in prayer with you as you have been Jesus' ministers to your little girl. I know this is going to sound a little corny, but, when Jesus was on earth with his disciples and they were always fighting with each other,goofing up, and generally being human, it seems almost impossible that He didn't just throw up his hands and say, "I am so over it! I am so tired of people, they never get it right". But, He, God in the flesh, kept loving them. So, now you are to be "Jesus" to your little girl and "greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends". We have his model of service to understand how to do it.
Barb has a very cool story to tell you about a second grade girl she had in class who had "coke" bottle glasses, some physical problems, and needed extra care from the Spec Ed team [as did our daughter through K-12]. But, that little girl grew up and just "happened" one day to be working with Michella at the boardwalk---still had the glasses. And she told Michella that she was at UCSC and was going to graduate soon with A's and B's!!! She just kept on with her indominateable spirit. Barb and I and our church keep praying for you both and for Emily.
What will God do? I can't wait to find out. [Meanwhile, we will continue praying for larger and less frequent meals and eyesight]
John and Barb
Thanks Becky for an insight into your(s) life and little Emily's life. We continue to pray for her and for you all. What a beautiful gift you have of writing down all you feel and learn. I love reading all things you write. We hope to stop by some day. I don't know when but we'll let you know. We are excited to see Em and K again and you both!! Thanks too for my new kitchen faucet. It is wonderbar!! Our niece noticed it right away one day when she was here. Love you, Penny
Extraordinary. I'm moved from the heart, reminded of all I believe and why, touched with your gift of wisdom and self-expression, and so totally in love with Emily I can't express it. When I was with you her spirit touched my spirit directly, and what I felt- well it was beyond special, precious and valuable in the realm of "Emily" and wanting her, the unique her, that you describe.
Love you honey,
Dad
I know why Emily was entrusted into your care, M&B! She has amazing parents! Thanks for sharing from your heart. Emily has taught us all about God's amazing grace and healing. Can imagine how hard the "refining" has been in your own lives but isn't it awesome how God gives HIS strength and grace when we are the weakest. Phil 4:13. She also has the bestest BIG sister! Continue to pray for you all.
Becky,
Your mom posted a link to your blog. I was thankful to have a chance to read you recent post and catch up on your life a little bit. Sounds like you have had a time of it! I have a nephew who was born 14 weeks early...not sure he had all of the issues that your Emily does...but he was in the hospital for a long time and I remember how difficult it was for my sister-in-law and her husband. Being parents has its own challenges, so I know this is extra tough on your hearts and bodies. I am thankful to know that you continue to be the strong and godly gal that I remember you as. We will keep you in our prayers. On a positive note...Jacob (the preemie)is now 8 and happy and healthy. God is good and I know He will continue to give you all you need for each step. Thanks for sharing your story.
Gloria (Edwards) Blevins
Post a Comment