Tuned In – by Gudrun Stenoien
Today above the deafening din of half a hundred screaming
babies I heard the clear sweet song of a single bird in the tall tree top. Last night at a most unusual hour I was
awakened by the persistent call of another.
Birds have always been here and singing.
Why should I now suddenly become so aware of them no matter where or
when?
I know why. For
several days I have been intent upon recording the various bird calls in this
area. First I recorded the song of the
sunbird that comes so regularly to our windowsill to sing. Not so simply did I isolate others, and the
pompous honk of the crown bird is yet to be recorded. This current extracurricular activity of mine
has brought to my attention more realistically the peculiar faculty of the ear
to hear that which one is eager and waiting to hear.
Mothers, nurses, you’ve experienced this. How sensitive you are to the least
irregularity of breathing, the faintest whimper, the cry from the one entrusted
to your love and care! Here at the station
we’ve so often gone to bed and perhaps fitfully to sleep expecting to be called
during the night. Long before the clap
at the door, we have heard the approaching foot-steps on the sand.
My experience is that whatever concerns my heart and mind,
that is what my ears are most ready to hear – even those things I’ve heard
before, yet not really heard. So it is
that I am aware of a song, a voice, a cry – because I am listening for it.
How keen is our hearing as it relates to the voice of
God? Are we so occupied with Him that
hearing His voice is the most natural thing? David the Psalmist says: Today, oh
that ye would hear His voice (Ps 95:7).
His Voice:
Speaking life-giving words: “Hear and your soul shall live”
(Is 55:3);
Speaking peace: “These things have I spoken that in Me ye may have
peace” (Jn 16:33);
Speaking directions: “Thine ears shall hear a word behind
thee saying, this is the way, walk ye in it…”(Is 30:21);
Speaking
encouragement: “For I, Jehovaah thy God, will hold thy right hand saying unto
thee, ‘Fear not, I will help thee’” (Is 41:13);
Speaking commands: “Ye shall be
my witnesses…unto the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8) and go ye
therefore…” (Matt 28:19).
But maybe we are not hearing these commands. We don’t always hear so well what we do not
want to hear. Perhaps we are afraid it
will cost us something. David says of
this: “Neither will I offer brunt-offerings of anything that cost me nothing”
(2 Sam 24:24). Are we reluctant to hear
that we are primarily for His pleasure – not so much He for ours – and that our
lives are to be completely surrendered to Him so that whether by life or death
we live or die to His glory? (Phil 1:20)
Today we can will to either listen to or ignore His voice,
but one day soon when “the Lord Himself descends from heaven with the voice of
the archangel and the trump of God” (1 Thess 4:16), everyone, without choice,
without exception, shall hear His voice.
To some He will then say, Come ye blessed of my Father…; to others He
will have to say, “Depart from me, ye cursed…” (Matt 25:34,41).
Today, oh that ye would hear his voice!
1 comment:
Have been following your site for some time now - I am a classmate of Marilyn's from our time at Lutheran Deaconess. Really appreciated your entry today. Gudron is my 1st cousin once removed.
Post a Comment