John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Monday, January 21, 2013

My Baby Turns 4!

Well this past Saturday, our little girl turned four years old!! Yipee!!!  I can't tell you how excited I get every year when I take some time to reflect on how much my babies have grown and, well, frankly, how much more fun they are!


K is amazing! She is smart and funny and already throws so much attitude around, I have daily visions of her as a teenager and I shudder. :-) Already in her short little life, she has developed far more patience than I have in my 35 years. This makes her great for her sister...she is an incredible teacher and doesn't just tolerate the frustrating things about Em's vision loss, but willingly helps her out (more often than not). Her imagination is going crazy and I confess that some times I just listen to her play so I can smile and laugh. She loves animals and animals love her; mainly because there is a general spirit of gentleness about her that makes them trust her.  I could go on and on!

I'm not saying she's perfect, I mean, she still doesn't eat, but there is so much good in her that I know if we (with God) can just train out the generally selfish behaviors, she will grow into one amazing woman! I love her more than words can say and I really love the girl she is developing into. I look forward to next year when I tell you so much more about her that you skip to the pictures. Ok, I get it, I'll stop. :-)

We started the day by measuring her height...


Then I let them watch the "Gruffalo".


Once Daddy got up, he let her make his coffee.  Why this is the highlight of her morning, I will never know!



While we cleaned and set up, the girls played...K made Sammy take a nap.  This was after she used her dr kit to examine him and brushed his hair with a comb.  He even lets her pick up his ears...he doesn't let anyone touch his ears.


Remember how I said they always have to be in the same room as me?  I was taking a shower and when I looked out, they were like this, sharing a book.  They couldn't go outside with Daddy cause the lawnmower "is too woud (loud)".


Once the cousins arrived to help set up, we really got rolling.


Auntie MoMo decorated the cake...


The party was to be Knights and Princesses...


When the girls arrived, they could choose to get their finger nails painted and face dolled up...


...and the boys were given a sword and told to go out back and slay the dragon so they could earn their crown and their knighthood.


When they were done, all were to appear at the throne to have their picture taken.




J was SO cute!  He came running inside, grabbed my arm and said, "I swayed da dwagon!" and he was so excited I almost died, overwhelmed with cuteness!


Yes, K changed her outfit...you will see her in three before I cut her off.







When it came time for cake, I told Em it was K's turn and not to blow out any of her candles.  So what did she do?  Promptly blew out one of the candles.  She is such a good listener!  Anyway, we had to relight one of them, but we did eventually eat cake.


I realize this may sound pretty ridiculous but I did not anticipate this...all the girls, dressed up as princesses, running around with swords, beating each other and the Dads.  Good thing they were foam and, well, I guess I should have purchased a few more swords.


Oh yes, and can you believe it was sunny and almost 70 degrees on K's birthday?  We actually got to use the backyard!


Frightening, right?  Little princesses with swords?!?


We did a couple of relays...one was getting rings with a wand and the other was dressing up, taking a pic and heading back.


It was pretty funny!  J was the slowest, but that was because he actually followed all the rules - even taking his shoes off to put the high heels on - rather than do it fast.  I think he might have been the only one who did everything and I got a great pic out of it.  Ha!


I just like this pic...it looks like he is about to fly right off the bounce house.  That's my brother in the background, by the way, he was able to make it out!  He will deploy again next month to Spain so it was good to see him one more time.


Caught red-handed!  This little guy turned off the bounce house while the kids were in it!


Yes, we did all the rest of the normal stuff - opened presents, ate food and hung out.




Outfit #3, her new pajamas.



Nana and Poppy


The boys started putting the swords in the back of their shirts so they could pull them out and fight at will.


Z was there!  She was just having none of the picture taking, so I caught her once when she didn't see me.


Some of us even caught a cat nap.


It didn't take long for the boys to start dressing up in the girls' stuff...



I realize the outfit is not girly, but those high heels in his hand went on.



This was after everyone else had left and it was just family, but yes, they did a show...they figured out that high heels make fun sounds when you stomp them against wood and they spent a long time doing a variety of dances for us.


Well, we had a wonderful - and LONG!!! - day celebrating our beautiful daughter's birth. I guess that makes it similar to her actual day of birth too.  :-)  Ha!

I am grateful to God He has let us come this far, blessed us this much and spent so much time overly protecting us. K is going to bring great honor and glory to God someday and I can't wait to see it!  But for now, I will enjoy the "Ferocious Fours".

No comments: