John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Memorial Day

Did I really get this far behind? Alert! Many posts to soon follow. :)

Well, we woke up Monday morning and M says to me, "Hey, it's a holiday today, isn't it? That means my mom and I have the same day off, we should call and see what they are doing." Since Nana works a 'normal' schedule...weekdays...and M works weekends (and doesn't get holidays off unless they happen to fall on his regular day off), they rarely have the same day off...really almost never. So we called and off we went to visit Nana and Poppy.

Once we got there, we decided it was a perfect day for the beach. So we joined the thousands of others who thought the same thing...does this look stereotypical southern california or what?


Em has always been scared of the ocean...if you ever wondered why, the next time you are at the beach, close your eyes and listen to the roar, imagine you have no prior knowledge or experience with the ocean and then decide what your reaction would be.


This would be the first time she actually went in the water...


Such a big girl...well, for a little while...then we took turns holding her as there was no way she was going to be left standing on her own out there.






K is content to play in the sand for a while...




Ahhhh!!!! "Oh-sin coming get me!!!" as Emily puts it.


Since I didn't think about us heading to the beach, I didn't have suits along, so when K decided to go in the water, my jeans got soaked and K, well, she had to get her only pair of underwear wet.  The water was so warm and inviting, it was worth it.



Sometimes even the bravest among us need to be held against the waves.


Teaching K to watch the waves...



Back at Nana and Poppy's we went to the swingset to discover the slide missing.  This is K mourning the loss of the slide.  The slide got destroyed by kids...as all things around here seem to have a similar fate.  There is very little respect for things in this culture.


Good thing she has ADD and can be distracted easily.


Oh yes, we also ate the tradition excess of food involving the BBQ and lots of fresh fruit.  As this is Memorial Day, I would like to take a moment to honor my brother, who has given his life thus far in service to our country.  He has done three tours in Iraq, one to Afghanistan, Croatia and where else I am not sure.  He has lived in Guam, Italy, and all over the US.  I just want to thank him (and his wife and kids, let's not forget them) for all the sacrifices they make for us to have the freedom to take a last minute run to the beach for the fun of it. I know there are so many others who deserve our respect and honor, but I will leave that to you.  God Bless!

No comments: