The dr looked at Emily today and the drug seems to have cleared up some of the problems in Emily's eyes, but they are far from done. It is cleared up enough so he can see clearly and he would like to inject her again and then possibly do another laser surgery (at the same time). He will look at her again on Thursday and then decide if he will do it Friday or Monday.
The dr likes to describe this as a game of chess. Right now he feels like he has the upper hand but there are still several moves to be played. The good news is that he said she is responding to light so he thinks she has some vision (at least enough to respond to light). The bad news is that another laser surgery means even more of her vision lost. I know that sounds funny, but the laser that will save her vision is also destroying it...they burn the peripheral vision to save the central vision. Put your hands on the side of your head and slowly cut off more and more of your vision until you have tunnel vision and all you can see is what is directly in front of you. Each time they go in with the laser, she looses a bit more of her peripheral vision. But as M says, she only needs to be able to see a book to be a nerd. :)
It seems to me that this 'solve it by creating another problem' is the case for all things with her...we had to intebate her to keep her breathing and it was the intebation (and oxygen) that have given her chronic lung disease...we had to give her oxygen to keep her organs forming and just to keep her alive and it was that oxygen that gave her these eye problems...now we will give her some vision by destroying the rest. I get frustrated sometimes thinking about how we solve one problem by creating another. But then I try to remind myself that the problems seem to be getting smaller...I think. After all, vision is huge, but not compared to her life. And I don't want to sound negative. This whole thing is a good thing. I am incredibly grateful that we have this opportunity to try to save her vision and maybe the vision of many babies to follow.
Thank you for your prayers and please keep them up. Oh, I have a sinus infection but am now on antibiotics so I will go visit her tomorrow. M is doing well. K has almost popped yet another tooth through and is loving all the attention she gets here.
1 comment:
Keepin' on praying....and others I talk with also say the same...The Lord is lifted UP as prayers go to Him..He alone is the Healer in all these issues plus He loves Emily even more than us. He has plans for her life (Jeremiah 29:11). We praise God for all He has done.
Post a Comment