We ended our time with the Ericksons by heading out to a couple of the lakes around here...well, after we made Snowy relinquish the boys' swimming gear.
We started at Whiskeytown Lake where swimming and kayak rides and dam building were the order of the day.
On the way over to the lake, M's car window shattered inside the door. So the boys went to the junk yard and found the exact same color and model car so they bought a new door, a new hood and a couple other things, fixed up Camy and then did what Erickson boys do...clean their cars.
The next day we rented a boat to toddle around Lake Shasta.
J was happy as a clam to get the chance to drive. Later, they showed him how to really do it and he drove for quite a while.
We brought the kayak on this trip too and everywhere we went, we pulled it behind the boat. Free kayak rides for none of the work.
The water in this lake looks green close up, blue from above, and brown near the edges (mud).
Basically, we drove around, swam, drove around some more and swam some more.
That's our little boat moored for lunch.
And our "party". We made cupcakes and celebrated all our anniversaries and bdays.
J and K are celebrating nine years!
J and M are celebrating 43!
M turned 64.
My parents are celebrating 43 too!
And we, we will be celebrating 14 - not for another month and a half, but why not celebrate in advance?!
We used the mud to frost the doughnut.
We did make it to the dam. It is quite small looking from this side but still interesting to see. The water in this lake serves millions and it is all collected from rain water. I will take a picture at the end of the summer and show you what a drought looks like.
Mt. Shasta
At one point, Poppy was sitting with K and telling her stories. She was listening so intently I had to take a shot.
Em was not exactly sitting down and listening... :-) She was just happy it was an endless day of snacking.
Eventually everyone was listening and talking...except Em.
This was interesting to me...the water has been low for so long, there are areas where trees and shrubs are beginning to grow down on the banks.
B and M became buddies over the week...here they are looking for treasures.
The only wildlife we really saw was birds...these ducks were little babies we separated (by accident) from their mother. Thankfully, this let Em see them as they swam quickly by the boat.
Near the end we were trying to get the kids out of the sun so Em built a fort but the other kids wouldn't play in it bc it stunk. Can't build next to the potty!
Like I said, buddies.
The next morning Uncle M had promised to make crafts from their treasures.
I was not there but apparently this turned in to swords.
And then posters and tables.
B made his to Uncle M.
Em's is a mermaid...with a dog. I'm not sure if the mermaid lives on water or the dog can swim but it is cute nonetheless.
We have had a wonderful week! I am so glad they decided to come up and be with us!! The cousins did so well together and I really felt like we reconnected. This weekend I also did an all-nighter with the youth and lost a night of sleep. I stayed for church the next morning but my hubby says I wasn't making a whole lot of sense when I talked so maybe I should have gone home. Regardless, I am tired! I hope your week is good and I trust we can get back into life without too much discomfort!
No comments:
Post a Comment