Well, I know many of you will think this is overkill on the details, but I am going to go there for the sake of my brother. As I have mentioned before, he is in Afghanistan with the Navy but yesterday was his wife's 40th birthday. I have to give him major props for this one. The crazy guy I grew up with has turned into a sweet-hearted, loving man. Anyway, he has been 'planning' her birthday for almost a year, when he called me from VA to ask for an estimate on the cost of a birthday party. When his family showed up here during their cross-country move, he handed me an envelope with exactly that amount of cash and he asked me to do what he couldn't...give her a party.
For months, we tried to work out a girls weekend with Mo's closest friends and due to a variety of issues, not the least of which being the move of my parents last weekend, it all fell through. But we were not deterred. We decided a party was still in the cards and a girls weekend could happen next summer. So, before the sun rose yesterday, M and I and the girls were off to the coast.
It is always an ordeal to get on the base with a car but since it lets the cousins hang out, I guess it's not that bad. Auntie MoMo doesn't let the boys carry Em but this was cute, so shhh, don't tell her!
We went out to brunch and hung out for a little while, then Aunti MoMo went out to get a massage and pedicure and some coffee while we watched the boys. Y got a little insecure right at first when his mom left but calmed right down when we started setting up the party decorations. He must have blown up at least half these balloons. He is so helpful! So, this is what it looked like in the dining room...those Gerber daisies really popped with all that black around!!
We all made the 'cake' together...
We painted some banks since she is so close to retirement now, we decided she should save a little faster.
Then we went to the park...Ben, your boys are so cute, fun and adorable! They are great with the girls and well-mannered. I know you miss them, but they are in great hands.
When she got home, we sang to her and gave her lots of hugs, ate steak and salad...
and then it was time for the "tower of chocolate" as we decided to call it. This is a stack of dark chocolate chip fudge brownies, smothered in nutella. It is in the shape of a wine bottle and we decided that that is because it is just like Mo...aged to perfection. :)
Then it was time for the bike. This bike has a great story: Ben wanted to get Mo a beach cruiser from the very beginning but ran out of time to find a deal. So while he was in Afghanistan, he found what he wanted on craigslist and proceeded to call me. I, however, was in MT and out of cell phone range. Oddly enough, my phone beeped and I got his message (but none of the others) and then was able to call some of my friends who were still at home. :) They got the bike and when we got home, we took it in to the bike shop to get the basket and safety lights placed as well as a dent removed.
It hung in our garage for almost five months and each time she would come over, we would take it down and take it over to our friend's house, just so she wouldn't see it. We got it there and put it in the side yard until present time.
It will be a great bike for the base and help those boys burn some more energy this winter!
We had a lot of fun and enjoyed hanging out together. Some bonus pics just for you. Emmy loved the cake!
Always some wrestling going on when these guys get together.
"Ta-dah!!" So there it is my brother! You did great and we all had a wonderful time! We can't wait to see you and I am sure glad you have to carry out the next one! :) Love you!
And to the rest of you, God Bless!!! Cherish your family and love while you can!
1 comment:
Thanks Guys. It was the best Birthday. I had a blast. And you are right Ben is amazing:).
Post a Comment