John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Monday, March 07, 2011

First Weekend Off

Well, for the next two months, M has weekends off. He hasn't had weekends off in almost three years. So what did we do with our first weekend? Well, we started by hanging out with family...

K and her auntie...
cousins...
our youngest nephew thinks it is funny to bite the spoon and not let go.

We also went to a friend's house to pick oranges...



...this is my favorite, but maybe it's just cause I'm the mom. :)


K puts them in the bag...look at that view!  Beautiful!!

Em discovers the bag...

Em sabotages the bag...

And gets as many out...

Before K comes back to 'fix' the mess Em has made...honestly, this is how their relationship works. If I could tell you how they function in orange grove terms, this would be it. :)


And of course, Em had to put everything in her mouth...including a leaf.

What else did we do? We went to church as a family!!! Ahhhh, that was nice. I also went to the first baby shower I have been able to attend since K was born. Why? They are always on weekends, never allow kids and always either at 11am (M still asleep) or 3pm (M about to go to work). So, I haven't been able to attend. But honestly, it just felt weird...I kept looking around for my kids wondering who was getting into what trouble, then panicking cause they weren't there, then realizing I needed to just relax because Daddy had them. :)

This morning I let K have her first shot at finger painting. This may seem normal to most people but since she is texture-phobic, I was honestly a little nervous. I didn't want her to panic and never want to try it again. BUT, I was totally wrong. She was great! She LOVED it!

Check out the tongue...always!

She still made faces of disgust though...

It didn't take long for her to figure out how fun it could be and she dove in with both hands and it all turned brown.  Showing me her hands.

And her arms.

Cleaning up. I know she did great for her, but I still crack up that there isn't a speck of paint anywhere on her or the table or the floor, except her hands, arms and the paper. She didn't completely abandon her OCD. She's still K, just venturing out to try new things...cautiously. :)

Showing you her painting.

Have a great day!! God Bless!

4 comments:

Maia said...

We put the paint in a ziplock bag (for our OCD toddler), that way there is no mess and they can still have fun with it.

Anonymous said...

that photo of Krista and K is absolutely gorgeous and the story of the oranges is priceless. love the snow capped mts and orange trees and people too. you have an artist on your hands. love penny

amy lazicki said...

the painting is really gorgeous! you should frame it

Anonymous said...

I love the oranges in the bag! That's totally how my kids function too! Nathan sets something up and Aaron tears it down! lol - Esther