I finally got to talk to the attending dr (the one in charge) and feel much better about just about everything. Apparently, the mucous in the spit up and the brady were not nearly as big of deals as the nurse made me think and since there wasn't a pattern there, the dr is not even worried about them.
Secondly, I know why she needs the additives in her milk...the short of it is that she does not either break down or absorb everything she needs from the milk she does eat so we need extra nutrients a full term baby would not. AND each time she does not tolerate an additive, they try one that has even simpler proteins so she can absorb them...we are on our fourth try right now.
Lastly, she did gain weight tonight for the first time in four days but the three days in a row policy is not a promise...the dr said the gains have to be big enough for her to feel comfortable sending her home. Sooo, hopefully next week sometime???
Me, I am still learning new things every day when I go in. Today I met with the physical therapist to teach me how to help her and where to do follow up after we leave. It is kind of fun to learn all this stuff...kind of makes me wish I had known it before K. But then I would have pushed her too much, right? :)
1 comment:
Hi M & B, My heart goes out to you! Parents aren't supposed to have to become experts in infant physical development! I was in the Stanford University Library the other day and looked at a huge tome on infant development---this is really a science. I wish for you and pray for you and your child that she will gain weight and poke the doctor in the nose when he leans over to check her out! :)
John
Post a Comment