John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Eyes, Classes and the Like

Emily's eye dr today left the comment, "Looks Great" on my baby's chart. He is sure she will have central vision and the extent of peripheral vision will be determined when she is three or four years old. Yipee!! I might sound neutral in that statement, but he called me when I was out on my walk and I just started crying and thanking the Lord over and over and over and over...I never realized what a heavy burden that was on me until it was lifted...I also have a greater appreciation for the Psalms when the author just gushes about the greatness of God...I must have sounded like a crazy person. I can't believe what a great miracle/gift this is for her and us!!



I almost forgot...on her due date, she was 5 pounds, 9 ounces and 17.5 inches long.



All I know about her sleep study is that the results say she has "central apnea". Defined by google: temporary cessation (stopping) of breathing due to a problem related to the central nervous system (brain). I will speak to the dr tomorrow and let you know what that means for her health and bringing her home.

We also have our first discharge class tomorrow. It doesn't mean that she is coming home, but at least it is on the horizon enough that they think they should train us on how to care for her. There are a LOT of things we have to do before we can take her home...everything from the shaken baby video to CPR certification. I could use some prayer so I will just roll with the punches...these things frustrate me to no end. They sound like the typical 'hoops' you have to jump through for our government...most of the time you are treated like an idiot and it turns out to be a waste of time. The stuff we really need (like how to run her breathing equipment and how to organize visits to which drs) will be crammed in to one day...the same day we bring her home. Classic.

Well, she ate two full feeds today and 2/3 of the rest of them. She is doing so well eating! When I say this is a miracle, that is because the occupational therapist says that most babies who have been intebated for that long don't want anything near their mouth, much less have an interest in sucking. She gets angry if the nurse takes to long getting hers ready! That's my girl!

5 comments:

Leppard said...

I LOVE the good news. Way to go Emily. Eat and breathe little one!! Ben and I can appreciate every ridiculous class you have to take. We took our fair share in order to prove our ability to be parents. We will be praying for patience and even joy as you go this last stretch to bring Em home. I tried to look for at least ONE thing that I could learn from every class, book, and video we had to complete. There will probably be one nugget that you can hold on to. Praise Jesus on the eyes. I love to hear you of your tears of joy. May there be many more joy-filled moments on the way.

Unknown said...

What a lot of wonderful news! We still pray for little Emily frequently and are so pleased when she makes progress. Praise God indeed!!

Eric & Christine Uggerud

Les and LeAnn said...

What good news! I agree with you that some of the most important care details are glossed over so quickly and other things you probably already know you have to spend so much time going over. Anyway... you are travelling down the pathway to the day you'll take her home. Praise the Lord!

doug&margarethe said...

Way to go, Emily! One amazing miracle after another..God is so gracious and good. PRAISE Him.

I don't understand either why all these very necessary details have to all occur in one day when you are anxious to get her home and yet so much to learn about her care because you wish to do your best in caring for her...maybe you can ask if some of the movies could be done ahead to help the information sink in easier..the worst is a "no. need to wait" but that is what you would be doing anyway.
Thinking again how many of our prayers have been answered--really all..breathing, eyes, eating, and SO many more. I cried with you too while reading the results!
Will keep praying.
P.S. Heard today at work that Winston Churchill was born a premie!! Remember his size as an adult??!!!!

Anonymous said...

So great to hear all the news- especially the talk of Em coming home. When I announced it to Matt, Marian heard. She jumped down and joyously ran to tell Isaiah "Emily Grace is coming to our house!"
Sad... we won't get to see her or hold her very soon, but we are going to party with you on that day she comes home.... back to your home. And, we'd love to skype if you're up for web cam anytime in the next several months!!!
Much love to you!
jill