John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

11-10-09 Update


Check out my cool shades!

Well today we just got some good news from Emily Grace's doctor. She said that they did an electro-cardiogram and found that the valve in her heart had closed. This valve is open while the baby is in the womb and receives her blood from the umbilical cord. If this valve does not close after delivery, the doctors must perform open heart surgery to close it. Can you imagine open heart surgery on such a little baby? Praise God this valve has closed!

They also gave Emily Grace her second dose of Surfactant. This medication is a lubricant that enables the lungs in a premature baby work more efficiently and thereby reduce the stress on Emily's immature lungs. She took this well and the gases in her lungs got closer to normal after receiving this dosage and switching her onto a different respirator (called a Jet).

8 comments:

Karen said...

Micah and Becky ~ I called Charlie right after getting the news about Becky being in the hospital, and we've been praying LOTS for your whole family since then! One of our prayers has been that God will help little Miss Emily to develop in just the right way and at just the right time, so we definitely have reason to thank Him for closing her heart valve!! We're also praying for God's continued peace for you in each new day. Hugs to you! ~Karen~ (and Charlie)

DAve and Joan Thompson said...

Micah and Becky - We continue to pray for all of you and thank God for His amazing hand in this incredibly difficult situation. He is faithful! May God give you strength for each day. Dave and Joan

Lauren said...

Thanks so much for your updates, Micah. I keep checking for them every time I'm online.

By a strange connection, my friend Christie here in Brisbane has a friend Katie working in the NICU at Loma Linda... So I feel like I'm a bit connected to Emily's care.

Love,
Lauren.

Jamie and Krista said...

Good Job Baby Emily! Keep fighting. You are such a strong little miracle. Can't wait to meet you someday!

You have so many people who love you and who are praying for you!

Brooke said...

What an amazing story you have! We'll continue to pray for all of you during this rollercoaster ride. Emily is so precious!

doug&margarethe said...

Baby Emily, we're SO happy you are doing this well! You are such a miracle! In sharing your story with others so many are praying for you. I am asked at work how you are doing each day! I remind them to keep praying for you and your whole family. Even if we haven't met we love you...and Jesus loves you too.

Jessi said...

I am a friend of Moira's and met you at their wedding. I have been thinking and praying for you guys and I am so glad to hear that Emily Grace is doing well. After the shock wore off, my first thought was if this little girl is related to your wife (and her brother) then she had to be a fighter and had a pretty good chance! keeping you all in my prayers.
Jessi

Katie said...

Hi Becky, we are praying in North Dakota for Emily Grace, for her continued progress and development and for her medical team. Praying for your recovery as well.
Katie Lukens Pinke and family