John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

May is Chaos! Yippee!

Why hello all! We are in the midst of a crazy May...mainly because we did it to ourselves, but ah, the reward will be worth the price!  I was planning to do a post about life on a ranch just to give you an idea of all that goes on, but after remembering to take pics of sand being delivered, I failed to take pics of anything else, so that post will have to wait until summer.  I continue to be amazed at the 'amounts of things' we deal with - like 50 bales of hay every three weeks - and we are a small fry operation!  On this day, I had 23 tons of sand delivered to my arena and it didn't even make a dent in the overall depth of sand, it simply disappeared into the space as if falling into a black hole.


Twenty three tons is TWO of these full to the brim!


At least the girls got to play before we spread it all out.  Em was running and running and running...


...and jumping into it like a pile of leaves.


K took breaks out of the sun...


...as did our fatso.  The clothes really do make him look fat!  He is fat, but not that fat!  It was 90 degrees and they wanted to know why I took his outfit off. He was, after all, their chef!


This was a sandball fight that was about to begin.  Thankfully I saw that sneaky little grin and realized what was about to happen.  As it stands I still could not get all the sand out of Emily's hair.


Dad finished the tree house!!  He let them paint the inside while he painted the outside. Em's says: Dad built this. K's says: 2015, Monday, May 4th.




Once school is over, I am kicking them out all day long!


We have had quite a bit of wind and even an earthquake.  The only joy the wind brings is that it clears out the haze.  Yes, we have been hot enough to have summer haze already.  With the air clear once more, I had to take a pic.


This past week they had a kindergarten career fair at one of the local colleges.  I thought this was crazy but apparently over 1000 kids show up, and we were amongst them this year.


Our first station was a musician.  This was very interesting and I had high hopes for the day.






But this was our next station and she talked for the entire eight minutes and I was not so confident any longer.


Yep, and that's why...


Overall, it ended up being pretty interesting but I sure am glad I home school and only need to do it once and not every year. :-)


These robots were sumo fighting...promoting science camps.



This guy was funny.  He wanted kids to know not to be scared of him when he looks like that and is crawling around in the smoke so he crawled around on the ground and grabbed kids by the ankle and yanked them across the grass.  They were scared giggling and we were dying of laughter!



One day we met Nana at Turtle Bay...our favorite little place to visit.



The butterfly tent is back.





K was waiting oh so patiently for a butterfly to land on her but it never did happen.  I felt bad so we decided to go let the parakeets land on us instead.



They were practicing for their show for this summer and let us watch.




Em always drops the nectar on the ground, but at least this time she held it half way upright.



K got to volunteer in the practice show.


And Em got bored and made her own show.


Em has been asking for a fish for a very long time.  I found this entire kit with filter and heater and all the fixings at a garage sale for $10 so I bought it.  But, she has to buy it back from me.  We are using the bank we got at the career fair to fill with money and learn lots of money lessons while the tank sits empty on the counter, waiting for her.  We will see how long it takes her to earn the money.  We have an endless supply of jobs but she is not exactly a "go-getter" when it comes to doing work. It helped her to lose another tooth, but we will see how she does.  I know I can sell it for more than that at my own garage sale if she doesn't make it. :-)  Or her sister will buy it.


Our pursuit of healthier food is going pretty well.  I have only fallen off the band wagon a couple of times and honestly have finally started wanting the good stuff and not really desiring the bad stuff - except for drinks - so this is me trying coconut water with lime and ice water.  It takes time but I like it now. I am making grain free tortillas and making all our meals at home from as much scratch as I can handle.  I am not crazy but trying to do things in moderation and control the days I can.  You can see the BBQ supplies in the background.  When people are over, we eat with them.  Moderation.


We had a nice little BBQ for Monther's Day...just my Aunt and Uncle and my parents.




You know you are in a drought when you see clouds like this and do nothing to protect your stuff from rain.  It is crazy.  We don't often see clouds, but even when we do, we don't see rain from them.  I guess these did finally rain further east from us, but they didn't drop more than a hundred drops on us.  :-(  


Well, one day of school left!!  The rodeo tomorrow. Sacramento on Thursday and Friday for Mom's next surgery. K's last soccer game Saturday and we finally get a vacation starting Sunday!  A real one! M will be off for a month and we will actually leave the ranch together for the first time since we moved in last August!  Can't wait!

We took Em to an eye therapist and had her evaluated.  We don't know the results yet but I do know that she is still seeing double a significant portion of the time and it looks like her peripheral vision might be only ten degrees off center (yes, you and I see past 180 degrees). Her ophthalmologist doesn't think this doctor can do anything for her and did not recommend spending the money to see him.  Sadly, I learned a while back that sometimes it is safer not to listen exclusively to your doctor but I am also out on a limb with this one.  Please pray that as he looks at Em's tests and history God will give him great wisdom to know what he can and cannot do to help her. Pray that he will be honest if he cannot help her. Thank you!

God bless!!

No comments: