John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

New Cast and A's Bday

I know, these are the pics you are after so even though it might kill me, I will go out of chronological order. :-) We went in this morning to get Emily's real cast...

I tried to prep her and get her ready but as soon as we got there, she was convinced that they were going to hurt her. She wouldn't let anyone touch her arm or even look at her directly in the eyes. So when the nurse took her splint off, she whipped her arm around behind her back and held it there. The look she gave was so defiant, it would have been impossible to misinterpret. It's a long story (that involves chocolate and the ipad and even gummy bears) but we did finally get her arm out and after much screaming and a couple gallons of tears, we had a new cast.

She has an appointment in four weeks to take another x-ray and see how it is doing.  At that time they will decide if she needs a short cast for another week or two or if she is fine to not have a cast at all.  Dad is taking her to that appointment, I will make sure it is during his time off!!  A saw?  Yeah, I'm not going to that if there is any way to avoid it!

When I asked for a picture in the hallway, she said, "Yeah, but my no wook." (Yeah, but I'm not gonna look. Pout.) Shown below.


Then a guy walking down the hall with his son just plopped him down next to her and told her to take a picture with the baby...suddenly she was all smiles.  Wasn't that sweet?!  Not Em, the guy!


At home, smiles were fast and easy.  Back with sister, she feels safe.

Everyone wants to know if K is jealous of the pink cast.  No.  She knows what it is.  She is, however, a little jealous of the attention.  This evening I was informed that tomorrow we were going to play lots of pretend games (she listed them all), just us and no one else.  Since tomorrow is school for Em, I agreed and K's whole countenance changed.  Guess we will color, paint, and play lions and tigers and bears, oh my!, instead of running errands and going to the library like we usually do.


We also survived our first bath thanks to some good advice about Glad Press n Seal from cousin Kari.  We might be spacing baths out a little more...or investing in Glad.

Yep, that's T-Rex attcking the cast.


Then we went through all the clothes in the 'too big' bin and found some pj's that went over the cast and despite the fact that it is in the 50's these days, pulled out the summer gear to find as many tank tops as we own.  (Kids' sleeves just aren't conducive to large casts).

She was very mad at first about the pj's because they were too big and didn't fit her feet.  Then I told her they were brand new and she was going to get them first, before K, and she seemed to calm down and then, looking at me with a sly smile, asked me for a picture so she could show K.  Such a younger sister!


On Sunday we went to A's bday party.  I know you think we are crazy but Em was already bored of watching TV (after one whole morning) and was starting to drive us up the wall, not to mention stress Mom out because she doesn't seem to notice she has a broken arm that's not in a cast yet.  Anyway, we gave her some of the pain meds they prescribed and headed out.

These two are showing you their tatoos.


I love these bounce houses!  SO much fun for all!


Daddy had Emily duty for most of the party.  Yep, my shirt, her vest, pj bottoms and shoes...just trying to keep her warm.  Everyone who saw her, greeted her then asked if she was on pain meds.  It was so funny!  Her eyes were half drooped and she was totally cool with everything.





They made strawberry planters decorated with Strawberry Shortcake...guess what the theme was?


Can't be a bday without drama...but we sang anyway!  :-)


And K got her smiling again...Happy Birthday Girl!!


Not to mention showing me how well her dress twirls.




A one-armed kid can't do much.  Glad we have a real cast now.  She will learn to use it and gain some of her independence back.



Oh yeah, this is what I am talking about.  She breaks her arm but still puts the couch on the play table and then climbs up on it so she can read a book.  Ah!!  Pray for me!  I have to believe God will heal this bone, in spite of Emily.


Well, the adventure has just begun...a month, maybe six weeks seems like an eternity to me right now!  She is super independent and does not like to ask for help!  And well, I'm her Mom, guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  God Bless!!

2 comments:

-A. said...

Elijah broke his foot when he was 1 1/2 (ok, I broke his foot when I slipped on the stairs and sat on it- how terrible is that?). The cast was on less than 2 weeks and he was walking on it by the end, crawling on it before then. His bones were just fine- those kids are tough and fast healers!

doug&margarethe said...

As to cast applications and to take off, Doug's suggestion when David D had his both legs casts on for six weeks last fall with a new set every week , we had him wear our own head phones while the cast cutter was making all its noise to cut the cast off. The personnel showed him about the cutter, the noise, he put on his head phones, and watched a DVD while the whole cast thing went on. Worked wonders. He does not like loud noises so this really helped every week. When children know what to expect it really helps. He even felt the blade of the cutter to see that it is sharp but it ossilates so it doesn't cut a person. MAYBE this will help her if she has tried the head phones on at home while you vacuum or during some other loud noise time.
The clinic people hadn't thought of head phones but were trying it out on another child who fought them a lot with casts. Hope that can help. I LIKE her pink cast!!