John Stuart Mill (Essay on Liberty)


‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Em First Day of School

Emily started her new school last week. It was raining that day so our pictures were forced into the garage...



She did well, at least I thought she did. I had planned to stay the entire first day when the special ed teacher suggested I step out for a little while to see how she did without me there. So I did. Not for very long, but she noticed. When I picked her up nothing seemed off. Then I left her with a friend for an hour while I went to gymnastics. This was not unusual, but when I got home, she kept saying, "Mommy, you no weave me." Over and over again.


She then proceeded not to potty on the potty for the next three days...not once. I had just gotten her back to the potty when today rolled around for day two at school. This time I spent the entire time with her and did not move from my chair. She seemed all right but checked in with me several times.  Dad will take shift two tomorrow and Friday will be our first attempt at a full day alone.


We've made a lot of decisions for Emily and none of them have felt wrong until this one. It's a horrifying feeling. We are functioning right now under the assumption she just needs a little more time to adjust, and all we can do is hope we are right. We welcome any prayers! We would very much like to look back at her first day of school with fond memories and not the opposite!




God Bless!!

1 comment:

doug&margarethe said...

Oh, I remember the feeling many years ago. So hard to let them go off with others when they are so small and like the security of Mom or Dad close by. AS she gets used to her own new and special school & gets also used to her teachers plus you pray alot for them while apart from you, it sort of becomes easier and they feel a little independence too. It helps when you know they are actually being helped to better themselves & you see the progress. Praying for her and for the both of you that you can all adjust easily with peace. I love these photos of her all ready for her school. Really cute of her.